CCP Newsletter

Email is not displaying correctly? View it in your browser.
December 2016
Vol. 11, Issue 04

Emory to Develop New Campus Life Center

Starting next summer, deep in the heart of Emory’s campus, the University will begin the multiyear effort to develop a new campus life center.   The new facility will be student-focused and include a residential student dining area, a student commons ‘living room,’ a café area, numerous program spaces for student activities, and a multipurpose area with seating for up to 1,600 – space for the entire freshman class to assemble at once.

While the Dobbs University Center (commonly known as the ‘DUC’) will be replaced, the historic Alumni Memorial University Center (AMUC), with its widely recognized marble façade, will be preserved.  A new formal garden plaza will connect the current AMUC with the new campus life center.  The new campus life center should be completed in 2019.

Briarcliff Mansion Plans

Earlier this fall, Emory announced plans to restore the Briarcliff mansion on its Briarcliff property site.   The 42-acre parcel and mansion were purchased by Emory in 1998, and despite Emory’s efforts to find an appropriate use for the mansion, the structure has been secured but largely unused. 

Republic Property Company expressed interest in restoring the mansion and using it as a 54-room boutique hotel.  Their plan would include restoring the main mansion, and adding guest rooms in six one-story cottages and a new two-story structure where the old pool house was located.   Emory would retain ownership of the land and lease approximately ten acres to the developers.

Emory hosted a series of community meetings in October about the plans and restoration, and the DeKalb County Historic Preservation Commission recently approved them.

As this exciting project advances, additional updates will be provided.

History of the Briarcliff Property Site

The 42-acre Briarcliff property site was sold by Asa G. Candler to the federal government in 1948 and, when declared surplus, was purchased by the State of Georgia in 1952.  The State established an alcohol treatment and residential center on the property in 1953, but it was discontinued in the early 1960’s.

The Mansion and adjoining land became part of the State’s program of care for the mentally ill and developmentally disabled, and in the early 1906’s, the Georgia Legislature approved funding for a statewide system of regional mental health hospitals. The property became the site of the Georgia Mental Health Institute (GMHI), which was closed in 1998. The Candler Mansion, listed on the National Historic Register, was used by state officials partially for administrative offices.  

The current proposal is a viable reuse of the property that would preserve its historic nature and provide Emory and surrounding communities with a unique and valuable amenity.  These plans would address concerns shared by Emory, the community and local historic commissions that the mansion be restored to its former grandeur. 

Emory's 'First Gentleman'

Kirk W. Elifson is the best friend, scholarly collaborator and husband of Claire E. Sterk, Emory's new president.
Read More

Record Research Funding

Emory University continues to received record amounts of research funding.  Researchers at Emory received $574.6 million from external funding agencies in fiscal year 2016. This marks the seventh consecutive year that research funding has exceeded $500 million, and with an increase from $572.4 in FY15, is the largest amount of research funding in Emory's history.

Read More

Parkinson's Disease Grant Awarded

Emory University will receive more than $1 million each year for the next five years from the NIH, renewing the NIH's support for Emory's Morris K. Udall Center of Excellence in Parkinson's Disease Research. With a goal of developing more effective Parkinson's disease treatments that have fewer side effects, the Emory Udall Center will integrate cutting-edge collaborative research, expert training of researchers and clinicians, and open dialogue with the general public.

Read More

Clifton Streetscape Project Progresses

Emory’s investment in improving Clifton Road and the streetscapes between North Decatur Road and Haygood Road continue.   The project, currently in an active construction phase, is on schedule to be completed early next summer.  Recently, some of the more than 100 new trees were planted along Clifton road, and others will be planted in new medians. 

 

 

You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to our mailing list via the Clifton Community Partnership. To subscribe to this listserv, contact Kendra Price.

Unsubscribe

Emory Home | Emory News Center | Give to Emory | Contact Emory